Monday, November 05, 2007

Heartbreaking News: Ted Knoesel Passes Away


This morning, I recieved heartbreaking news....a longtime friend of mine passed away.

Ted Knoesel was an ex-chief in the Ardsley Fire Department, where he served 57 years. He meticuloulsy maintained the department's 1928 Seagrave, "Old Betsy".

Ted owned Ted's Texaco (now County Gulf) in Ardsley for many years, and was an excellent mechanic and wrecker operator. He was friendly, and, as he was born in Ardsley and lived there his entire life, everybody in Ardsley knew who he was. Even in his retirment, he served as a crossing guard at Ardsley schools until his wife passed away. He didn't do it for the money, he always loved to work and be active. Ted was a survior himself, valiantly overcoming several critical illnesses.

Ted lost his wife of 39 years, Sheila, last year after her valiant and brief fight against Leukemia.

His son, TJ Knoesel, is a Westchester County Police Officer.

I knew Ted initially through my father and grandmother, who were friends with him. I got to know Ted myself when I served alongside him in Ardsley FD. I will miss Ted a great deal. He tought me so much, he was so energetic, enthusiastic, and giving. I have many memories with him during the 10 years I served with AFD, and he will always remain in my heart.

My condolences go out to the Knoesel family.

KNOESEL, THEODORE I. November 05, 2007 Theodore I. Knoesel
, 83, a lifelong resident of Ardsley, died November 3, 2007, after a brief
illness. He was the son of the late Frank and Helen (Neppert) Knoesel. In 1961
he married Sheila Hollis. She died in 2006. For over 25 years, he was the owner
of Ted's Texaco in Ardsley. For 57 years, Ted was a dedicated member of the
Ardsley Volunteer Fire Department, where he was an Ex-Chief. In his retirement
he has been a school crossing guard for the Ardsley School District. Ted's
family wishes to express their gratitude and appreciation to all the
schoolchildren that brought such happiness to their dad, as he worked as a
crossing guard. He is survived by his loving children, Ilene (Nick) Caruso,
Norine (Ronnie) Roemer, Susan (Frank) Leone, Mary Pat (Dennis) Kopek, Kristina
(Michael) Morano, Jr., and T.J. (Keira) Knoesel, 14 beloved grandchildren and
one beloved great-grandson. Mass of the Resurrection 9:30 am Thursday, Sacred
Heart Church, Dobbs Ferry. Visiting 7-9 pm Tuesday and 2-4 and 7-9pm Wednesday, Edwards-Dowdle Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to eitherthe Ardsley Fire Dept. or the CDLS Foundation at http://www.cdls.org/ EDWARDS-DOWDLE FUNERAL HOME, INC. 64 Ashford Avenue Dobbs Ferry, New York EdwardsAndDowdle.com