Thursday, June 07, 2007

Firefighting: Things Don't Change Much

As many of you know, I LOVE books.

This past October, I aqquired a book published in 1921 entitled "What Every Firefighter Should Know" published by Fire And Water Engineering Co. of New York.

Recently, I aqquired "Los Angeles City Fire Department Officers Guide" published in 1959.

While browsing through both books, I noticed something. Despite all the new technology, techniques, and tatics, when you get down to the nitty gritty, the ART of firefighting hasn't changed much.

Both books contain comprehensive and concise information that is still pertinent today, in fact, I find is better then some information that's put out there these days. Not only does it contain information on bread-and-butter firefighting, but it also goes into subjects that nowadays we call "Special Operations".

Although "tradition" does hold us back, we can learn a lot from our past.

Maybe I'll scan in some pages to give you an example in the next few days......