Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My IAFF Sticker Conterversy

During my travels this week, I stopped to get some gas and a snack.

Feeling chatty, I noticed another guys truck with the IAFF sticker on it and blue lights on the dash and grill. I asked him where he was from, and he told me. Pretty sure that was an all-volunteer department, I asked him if they were career or if he was career. His reply- "No". He was a volunteer firefighter, with no family or friends in the IAFF. Due to his apparent age, I was pretty sure he wasn't career anyways.

So then my next question is where he got the sticker and why he displayed it? His answer- "because I am a professional firefighter too". He got the sticker from his friend, and all the guys in his company have it- he also said it's great "to piss off the paid guys" in the next town over. Aren't you looking to get on the job? I asked "Yes" ,was his reply- in a nearby big city.

I shook my head, and let it go at that. I'm not looking to create conterversy, it's just that the IAFF sticker represents not just being a firefighter- it represents membership in a brotherhood union- that stickers is something that is earned (and paid dues for)

Also, a move with intentions like this is immature and disrespectful. I'm sure this kid would love to get on the job and thats his intention, so why is he intentionally looking to create conterversy? There's no reason to start a war, and if you are young and looking to get on the job- why are you so against it now?