Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Interesting Train Consist I Saw Today

While heading home from Stop and Shop in North White Plains today, I took my favorite route which takes me past the North White Plains Train Yard and Fairview Fire Headqurters. While stopped at the Virginia Road RR crossing, I heard a slow moving diesel engine coming by and quickly whipped out my camera.

Metro-North Operations fascinate me, I recently learned of this train. It blows the leaves off the track using compressed water stream and air so the trains do not lose traction on the slippery leaves. It was being led in this direction by a FL-9 #2011 with New Haven markings, and by my favorite Metro North Work Engine #104 at the other end. Apparently, these trains are a common sight this time of year.

Sorry for the crappy photos, but they were the best I could get given my position.

I was happy to learn something new about Metro-North today. (I learned of this train at http://www.railroad.net Metro North forum)